Thursday, January 14, 2010

How many calories will I burn when I am......

How many calories am I burning when I am.....
( all numbers are based on a person weighing 150 lbs. and doing each task for 10 minutes )

Carrying small children = 36 cals.
Household chores = 42 cals.
Brushing my teeth = 28.5 cals.
Gardening = 53 cals.
Grocery shopping = 40.5 cals.
Dancing = 57 cals.
Tennis = 83 cals.
Jog/walking = 71 cals.
Walking (2.5 mph) = 36 cals.
Bicycling = 95 cals.

As you can see, if you just try to keep moving through out the day your calorie burning will add up without even trying Some tricks I do to keep myself moving is always parking far away from your destination. My friends absolutely hate going places with me when I am driving. They hate the extra walk. It not only burns calories but, it saves your car from door dings from people parking too close to you. Also, taking the stairs instead of an elevator when you can, walking your dog more often, walking from place to place while running errands.
If it's possible to not move your car when you run from the grocery store to the dry cleaner to the post office etc, don't move it! Park once and get everything done. You'll burn tons of extra calories doing this. I live in a small town, so today I jogged to Starbucks and had my coffee, walked to the grocery store, did my shopping and walked home. It's about 3 miles round trip. Saves gas, burns calories and saves wear and tear on my car. All around a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment